2.29.2012

Honor Revival

Over the last few weeks I have been listening to the Code Orange Revival out of Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC.  I only have a few more sermons to go in this 12-night revival.  Some of the top names in the Capital C Church spoke there earlier this year as Elevation Church kicked off 2012 (hence the 12 nights)!  Of course I've been challenged by every sermon.  Of course I will be stealing (OK, borrowing)  their illustrations.  However, there is one thing that is standing out to me as a God-thread in all of these messages of this revival.  The theme that has been weaving itself through each night (for me) is HONOR!

Steven Furtick is modeling for everyone listening what it means to honor another pastor/leader with his introduction of each of the speakers.  He has some very personal words of esteem for each of them.  You might expect that from the host pastor of this huge revival, but then something very interesting happens.  Each of these leaders returns the honor to Steven Furtick and his wife, Holly.  They shower him with amazing words of affection and encouragement for not only him but also Elevation Church.

I was blown away by this example of how to honor others, and I was challenged that I should always find ways to bless and encourage other pastors and leaders (all people, really) with my words.  I'm not talking about flattery.  I'm talking about thinking through my words and launching encouragement bombs (with detailed precision) in their direction.  I believe the Church has to get better at this, and I believe it starts with you and me.