3.16.2012

words of lasting impact

There was a huge storm in Pittsburgh last night.  The lightning was impressive.  Our power went out.  It was hailing.  The wind was charging.  The thunder was near and loud!  

I tweeted last night, "As a little boy, I remember my dad telling me that thunder was God bowling."  It was crazy that I remembered that after 30+ years, and something jumped out at me.  I continued in my tweet by saying, "Hey parents, stuff we say to our kids sticks with them for life!"  It is crazy that I was able to recall a fun thought from the deep recesses of my mind when I heard sound of thunder.  It was a conversation my dad had with me over 30 years ago.  I laid there awake last night thinking about what I'm saying and passing on to my kids.

What I say and how I say it has (and will have) a life-lasting impact on the #pinklife (my three daughters).    I can only hope that what they remember (along with the fun and funny stuff) will have an eternal impact.  I pray that God would give me teachable moments with my kids that lead to life-long memories of God's path on certain matters.  As a dad, I have the high calling, responsibility and opportunity to open my girls up to God's thoughts at crucial moments of life.  

This thunder thought has me thinking this morning that I should be more intentional and strategic about what I share with my daughters and how I share it.  I need to leverage the teachable moments of life for discipling my kids in the ways of God.