3.22.2012

Baptism Memories...

Last night, I had the privilege to baptize 23 people out of the 46 people that were baptized!  It may go down as one of the most amazing church services I've ever been a part of.

10 of the 46 were a part of Harvest Bible Chapel, and it was a blast to have Pastor Jeff Miller in the other tub to baptize people from the church he leads!  Jeff's new church plant meets in a school auditorium, so he called North Way to see if he could borrow our baptism tub and a room to do baptisms.  Over coffee, I invited him to join us in our baptisms at our All Worship Night.  A friendship was born, and our two churches joined as one.

Each baptism was truly outstanding, but two will stick with me forever.  Carolyn's and Rachel's.

Carolyn had a tough time getting in the tub, and she made me promise to get her three men to ensure her safety.  As she sat in the tub as her story was read, she simply wept and whispered what I think was a prayer.  I don't know what she was praying, but as she came up out of the water, she threw both fists in the air as she continued to weep.  It was a beautiful picture of the length of God's reach regardless of age.

Rachel was wheeled out in her chair beside the baptism tub.  All in attendance prayed for God to heal her from the ravaging affects of cancer in her brain.  As we prayed, she agreed by crying out to Jesus to heal her.  Pastor Scott Stevens then took a clear glass of water and poured it over her beautiful face.  I watched as the water trickled down, and I simply couldn't contain myself any longer, and I turned away.  I wept.

There are many more memories I could share from last night's worship and baptism service.  Like Jane's hearing being restored as she worshipped.  Like Rob taking a huge leap of faith as an Ironman.  Like a father and son being baptized together.  Like a dad baptizing his two sons.  It was an amazing night that I will hopefully never forget!