2.28.2012

tough decisions

Over the last few weeks, I have had several conversations with folks that are faced with tough decisions. One is trying to make a decision about a job opportunity that would cause a move across the country. Another is deciding if it's best to end a relationship. Another is hashing out a call to full-time vocational ministry. Another was faced with a decision to take a loved one off life support. Another is trying to make decisions while submitting to their authority and being responsible to lead a large part of the organization at the same time. All are very tough decisions. All have to be made.

Over the years I've learned four points of a decision-making grid. I pass all my decisions through this four-pronged filter:

1. I ask God and listen for His direction. (Prayer)
2. I search the Scriptures for similar situations and see how they might apply to my situation. (Bible reading)
3. I ask a godly mentor/leader what they would do. (Elder wisdom)
4. I ask a trusted and godly friend what they would do. (Peer advice)

Each point of this grid provides a perspective. God can use the alignment of all four to clarify the decision. I believe that when this grid is applied, I'm giving God four ways to speak to me.