4.14.2012

IJM's Global Prayer Gathering


I'm currently watching International Justice Mission's Global Prayer Gathering.  My wife, Erica, is there in Washington D.C. right now.  I want to write some thoughts here as I'm logged on to this conference.  

First of all, this makes me miss my wife, but I'm thankful for the technology that is allowing me to experience this with her hundreds of miles away!  It's not the same as being with her, but it's good to experience what God is teaching her.  I don't like it when I learn from God apart from her and then have to try to convey it to her at a later point...same with her learning apart from me and trying to pass it to me.

As many share from the field, I'm confronted with what I'm doing to bring oppressors to justice.  How am I protecting the poor and vulnerable in my world?  Yes, the broken justice systems need to be restored and rebuilt, but what am I personally doing?  

Here are a few quotes from this morning’s sessions.  Blair Burns said, "Broken public justice systems CAN be transformed. And so we will pray. Until it is finished we will pray." Patrick Stayton shared, "The good news is: systems are made up of people, and the hearts and minds of people can be changed." Jesse Rudy shared a story that exemplified Psalm 30:11.